17 November 2007

Air Uganda must Prove its Praiseworthiness

I hope Daily Monitor’s praise of the emergence of Air Uganda (Daily Monitor, 13th November 2007) will not be premature. Since Ugandans don’t have a record of successful airlines management, I hate to think this might yet be another fiasco in the making.

Iam not a pessimist usually, but I believe in the Rukiga adage that “orumirwe enjoka atiina omwina (one who has ever been bitten by a snake fears any hole)! Airlines management demands prudent management which I doubt that Ugandans will deliver.

From the economics point of view, the introduction of another career will certainly force the airfares down. Indeed, the reported Entebbe-Nairobi fare of $169 (return) and $95 (one way) is quite attractive.

However, air travel is more than just affordable rates. Passengers need a comprehensive package comprising of comfort, reliability, safety, convenience – just to mention a few. The record of Uganda-based or owned or managed airlines certainly falls short of those expectations.

Hence, until Air Uganda proves me wrong, I will not stir with excitement about a Uganda national flag career prying the skies. Potential passengers need to know which model of aircrafts the company is flying; the service history of those aircrafts; and the business acumen of the airline’s owner(s).

While flying is pleasurable, it always entails some emotional and psychological stress as well. This flight stress would be aggravated by the prospect of flying in a pre-world war II aircraft with cockroaches roaming all round the cabin. A cheaper fare can’t make such stress any less.

The onus is therefore upon Air Uganda to assure its potential passengers that the new born flyer is safe; technically sound; well manned; and a class apart the four Uganda-based airlines that have unsuccessfully attempted to capture Ugandan airspace – since the demise of Uganda Airlines.

As a frequent flier, I will look forward to flying Air Uganda – and when I do, I hope I will enjoy my flight.

No comments:

Labels